Thursday, July 12, 2012

Girls' World Forum - Chicago

Elaine Kuchkowski joins more than 600 other Girl Scouts from all over the USA and Girl Guides from all over the world (with their chaperones) for the Girls' World Forum, which is taking place in Chicago.  Elaine has been a Girl Scout for 9 years. She is an Ambassador and will be a junior at Ames High School on the fall. Her Girl Scout experience includes leading service unit events, being a CIT at Camp Tanglefoot, and representing the council as a delegate to the Girl Scout Leadership Institute, a part of the National Convention held in Houston last November - read on! 
____________________________________________________________
  

Elaine Kushkowski
Oh, you’re a Girl Scout. Can you help me get to Millennium Park?

7/11/12 was the first day of Girls’ World Forum in Chicago. I arrived early at the hotel, intending to drop off my luggage and then explore the city before the Forum started. My mom-and-chaperone’s room was ready, so my bags went there, making the luggage arrangements pleasantly simple. Outside the hotel, on the way to the Chicago History Museum, I passed a group of girls. The smiles of recognition were enough to know that they were Girl Scouts as well, possibly in the United States for the first time, seeing what Chicago had to offer before it was time to officially begin the Forum.

Later in the day, back at the hotel, a girl needed help with her room key. She spoke a little English and, though I have absolutely no working knowledge of German (aside from a few phrases I learned in third grade and have long since forgotten), all hope was not lost. She stored her bags in my room while we went down to the concierge desk, where the key was easily fixed and returned to her. She returned to my room, gathered her bags, smiled, thanked me, and headed down the hall to her now accessible room. Without a doubt she was thankful for the assistance and I, true to my promises as a Girl Scout, had done my good deed for the day.

At the Forum
Dinner proved to be by far the best experience I’ve had yet in my slightly less than a day at the Forum. Organized into patrols, the delegates went through the buffet and found their respective tables. I had the joy of sitting by Jenny, an Australian and fellow member of patrol 40. In an interesting turn of events, we began discussing the differences and similarities between the education systems in Australia and the United States, leading to insights previously unimaginable. I then met her fellow Australians and we parted, with a promise to meet up again tomorrow.

It’s amazing how simple it is to communicate with a smile, a knowing expression, and a willingness to help out when needed. More than anything, it is the pieces of our experience that we share with others that make them feel welcome and appreciated, two of the greatest gifts of all.

At Girls’ World Forum there are about 450 Girl Scouts and Girl Guides representing 89 countries. We have 3 Millennium Development Goals to discuss, 5 days to do it, and infinite experiences to share with one another. Our differences add interest and our similarities tie us together as girls and women dedicated to service, scouting, and sisterhood. As the National President of GSUSA, Connie Lindsey, said in her opening remarks, part of being a Girl Scout is knowing that wherever you go, you will always have sisters there to help you out.

As for directions to Millennium Park, it’s just down Michigan Avenue, on the left.

-  Elaine Kushkowski

No comments:

Post a Comment