Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Girls' World Forum - Chicago Part 2


Elaine Kuchkowski has written part 2 of her experience with more than 600 other Girl Scouts from all over the USA and Girl Guides from all over the world at the Girls' World Forum in Chicago - read on! 
____________________________________________________________
We Are 10 Million Voices, and We Are Singing
600 Girl Scouts and Girl Guides gathered in Chicago, Illinois, with a few goals in mind. I speak collectively when I say we knew we were there to discuss the Millennium Development Goals, meet people from other places around the world, and represent our councils and countries. But the thing that we didn’t know coming in was how much we could change and grow in six short days.
The three Millennium Development Goals (MGD) that were covered during Girls’ World Forum were Ending Poverty and Hunger, Promote Gender Equality and Empower Women, and Environmental Sustainability. Participants spent time at the Brookfield Zoo to learn about environmental sustainability, had an “Action Day” where the delegates went to different locations around the community and did service projects related to an MDG, and spent time discussing the Goals and what actions could solve the world’s problems. Near the end of our week together, each girl developed a Take Action plan related to one of the MDGs that will be implemented within the next year.
At the Forum, I learned what it is to be part of the global Girl Guide and Girl Scout community. The Australian Girl Guide that I sat next to at dinner the first night has become an incredible friend of mine. The people in my patrol promised to stay connected, even though we live all around the world, and support each other with our Take Action projects. The past week has been one of sharing experiences, listening to others, learning about different cultures, and growing in ways I never expected. With Girl Scouts, everything is possible.
I’m currently on the way to Camp Tanglefoot for my third year of CIT training, rejoining my GSGI family after meeting my WAGGGS international family in the bustling city of Chicago. It will be a change for sure, but the thing that will be the same is that truly excellent people, committed to making the world a better place, will surround me.
I’m thankful for this opportunity to represent Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa at such an amazing convention. Girl Scouting is not just about Girl Scout Brownies selling cookies, it is girls and women of all ages, working hard to create sustainable change. Encourage younger girls in your community to stay involved with Girl Scouts because there are so many opportunities for them to be leaders, both close to home and far away. Teach them that they are part of an international community of 10 MILLION girls, and that what they have to say matters.
Finally, in regards to the fantastic young women I met at Girls’ World Forum, here are few words from a camp song, “I’ll not say goodbye with tears in my eyes, but I’ll say hello to the friends that I’ll know.”
For more information of the Millennium Development Goals set by the United Nations in 2000, go to www.un.org/millenniumgoals .

- Elaine Kuchkowski
____________________________________________________________ 

No comments:

Post a Comment