Monday, August 13, 2012

100th Anniversary - Guest Blog: Derdzinski

We thank our guest blogger, Mary Derdzinski, for her thoughts, involvement, and commitment to Girl Scouts! 

Would you like to be our next guest blogger?  Please email us and let us know.
____________________________________________________________________


Mary Derdzinski
Troop Leader
Service Unit Volunteer
I'm Mary Derdzinski.  I was never a Girl Scout growing up, but I am now a lifetime Girl Scout.

When the second oldest of my four daughters was in second grade, her troop needed a Brownie leader and I agreed. Since then, I have been leader at one time or another for each of my girls, sometimes leading two different age groups in one year.  This year, without a troop to lead, I am assistant to the Senior/Ambassador leaders and the press secretary for our service unit. I really enjoy being part of Girl Scouts and am so glad that this has been something I could give my girls - all of my girls, not just my daughters!

Here’s a quick story I’d like to share from ‘Girl Scout Day Camp’ which several local Girl Scouts participated in:

The Greene Girl Scouts sponsored their annual Girl Scout Day Camp on July 10 & 11, 2012, at the Winnebago Boy Scout Camp.  51 Girl Scouts, 4 younger children (who are too young to be Girl Scouts), and 18 adults came together for two days of fun.  Each day began with a Flag Ceremony presented by the Girl Scouts and announcements from headquarters.  The girls helped cook their own food and earned the Girl Scout Ways badge from the new Girl Scout Badge book for their age group.

The days weren’t all work.  Craft time brought the transformation of old t-shirts into bracelets and necklaces and plastic store sacks into flowers.  Meadow games included “Giant Jenga,” Four foot long “Pick-Up-Sticks,” “Twister,” songs, and relays. This year each unit also made a little craft to swap with the other unit girls. The girls were able to swim in the Winnebago pool each day and finished with a snack and closing Flag Ceremony.  On the July 11th, the girls going into fifth grade or higher had the opportunity to stay for an overnight at the camp.  They cooked their own pie-iron dinners, swam, and made duct tape purses. 

- Mary Derdzinski

____________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment