Saturday, February 2, 2013

Governor's Luncheon Speaker: Kushkowski

Elaine Kushkowski, a junior at Ames High School, has been involved in Girl Scouts for ten years.  She served as a Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa delegate to the Girls' World Forum in Chicago last summer and is currently serving as the Vice President of the council's Girl Advisory Committee.  She recently spoke at The Governor’s Luncheon for Scouting, serving as the Co-Master of Ceremonies, which she reflects on below. Thanks for everything you do, Elaine!
____________________________________________________________

Elaine with Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds and Boy Scout representative
On January 9th, 2013, I went to the Prairie Meadows Event Center as the Master of Ceremonies for the Governor’s Luncheon for Scouting. The Luncheon is an annual fundraiser for Girl Scouts and Boy Scout in Iowa. This year the event attracted more than 550 people and raised much needed funds for Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa.

I thought it was great to see so many people come together to support Scouting in their communities. The fact that more than 550 people came to the event really shows that people know the importance of Scouting - for their children, their communities, their country, and the world.

On a more personal level, it was an honor to be able to speak in front of so many people and share my love of Scouting with them. I shared this reflection with the audience:  

“It’s hard for me to put into words the impact that Girl Scouting has had on my life. When I look at the activities I’m involved in, the beliefs I’ve developed, and the passions I’ve discovered, it becomes clear that every aspect of my life has been touched by my involvement in Girl Scouting.

Through Scouting, I have had countless opportunities to meet, learn from, and serve others. I have become a leader, among my peers, at my Girl Scout camp, and in my community. 

I learned, as a sixth grader setting out to earn my bronze award, that even young people can make a difference --- And I do, every Wednesday morning when I volunteer with first graders and help them learn to read.

I’ve learned that I’m more than just a part of Troop 601 - I am part of a worldwide organization composed of 10 million inspiring young women.

I have met Girl Scouts and Girl Guides from around the world, and have come to understand that through sharing our ideas and working together, a world of possibilities lies ahead.  And those possibilities lie in the hearts and minds of Scouts, who strive, each day, to make the world a better place." 

Speaking at the Governor’s Luncheon is but one example of how Girl Scouting has inspired me to be a courageous individual who is willing to take on new challenges. I’m glad I was able to represent the Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa, introduce Lieutenant Governor Reynolds, and share a little bit of what Girl Scouts is really all about.

My name is Elaine Kushkowski and I am proud to be a Girl Scout.

Elaine at the podium during the flag ceremony

No comments:

Post a Comment