Monday, November 28, 2011

100th Anniversary - Guest Blog: Kennedy

We welcome Mary Anne Kennedy, a prominent business owner in our community, to our guest blog. Thank you, Mary Anne, for your thoughtful words and for being a proud supporter of Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa!

If you are interested in being our next guest blogger, email us and let us know! 
____________________________________________________________

Mary Anne Kennedy
Owner
Primary Source, Inc.

Girl Scouting made me the business & community leader than I am today!

Among the crafts, songs, games, badges and camp, there were other things going on….  Seeds were planted that I could succeed at anything I put my mind to.  Leaders encouraged me to be brave to show a project in front of a group.  Fellow Girl Scouts challenged me to see what I could accomplish in a game or a mission.

Looking back, that was the start of what would eventually help me fill a role as a business owner.  I didn’t hesitate when I had the opportunity – I knew I could lead a company and employees to be successful, profitable, and still have fun at work!

I also saw how we, as Girl Scouts, were a respected and relied upon part of the community.
I think that feeling stayed with me.  When I was sought to be president of a local chamber of commerce, I accepted the responsibility and challenge to lead that group and improve the business climate as much as possible.

I also felt very comfortable to run as president of an area chapter of the American Business Women’s Association.  This was yet another opportunity to encourage other business women to be leaders in their companies and communities, as we focused on education and professional development in addition to raising scholarship money for young women.

The love of Girl Scouting and their purpose is in my heart.  I grew up to be a Girl Scout troop leader!  I hope I showed the girls to be leaders themselves, to not be afraid to try new things or to meet new people.  I trust my positive encouragement helped my Girl Scouts think BIG about what they could achieve in school & in life.  I know it laid the groundwork for fantastic possibilities, just as my young experience with Girl Scouts did!


- Mary Anne Kennedy
____________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment