Monday, November 21, 2011

100th Anniversary - Guest Blog: Tuttle

We welcome our own Girl Scout Retail Shop Manager, Julie Tuttle, to our guest blog this week.   We thank her for her positive attitude and continued passion for Girl Scouts – it serves as an inspiration to us all!

Let us know if you would like to be our next guest blogger by emailing us your story.

___________________________________________________________
Julie Tuttle
Retail Shops Manager
Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa
Girl Scouts has been a big part of my life since I was a Daisy (we won’t mention how long ago that was).  I remember spending time with my friends, marching in parades, selling cookies, collecting pop tabs to take to the Ronald McDonald house, and probably causing our Leaders a little more trouble than they anticipated.  (We paid the price for it later because our Troop Leaders were my Mom and my best friend’s Mom)! 

Making time for Girl Scouts was also a priority for me growing up.  Once I got to middle school and then high school all these other activities started to present themselves.  But, between softball practice, golf and volleyball practice, youth choir, basketball games, football games, having fun with my friends, and eventually working, Girl Scouts was always there for me!  Somehow I managed to find time to earn both my Silver and Gold Awards (there wasn’t a Bronze Award yet), and I can remember getting ready for the Awards Ceremony with the rest of the girls in our troop.  We all tried to do each other’s hair and pick outfits out for everyone (ha ha - somewhere there is a scrapbook with all of that chaos in it)!

By having Girl Scouts as a constant in my life, it has helped me to gain the confidence and courage that I have today to run all five of our council shops and our online shop.  To now be working for the Girl Scouts adds a little more character every day, and I’m thankful I learned how to respect both the people and things around me, as well as organization, time management, and appreciation for the little things that make a big difference!

I am located in Des Moines, so, if you are in the area, feel free to stop in to our shop and chat with us sometime!


-Julie Tuttle
___________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment