Tuesday, January 17, 2012

100th Anniversary - Guest Blog: Goebel

We are excited to feature multi-grade level troop leader and inspiring role model, Kiane Goebel.  Thank you, Kiane, for the work you do in the community and your willingness to help build bright futures for Girl Scouts in Iowa!

Are you interested in being our next guest blogger?  Email us and tell us your story!

______________________________________________________________

Kiane Goebel
Troop Leader

I became a Girl Scout Leader, like many others, because my Mom had been my leader.  I fondly remember doing different activities with her and it was a special time.  As a Mom of three girls, I wanted to share this with my daughters.  For seven years, I have lead a multilevel troop - Daisy through Cadette. 

As my girls have grown, I have had the opportunity to share many unique experiences with them and watch them grow and mature.  Unlike many of the other parents, I am there, watching, leading, advising, and guiding.  As the girls have grown, it has been an awe inspiring experience to go from planning and leading all the activities to having some activities that are now completely planned and coordinated by the girls. 

As they have gained skills, I have as well. When you think you have to 'be in control", you learn you are wrong.  On the "L" subway system in Chicago, I had a girl with special needs watch the subway signs and tell me where our exit of the train was.  She was exactly correct - and only in third grade.  Who would have thought?  The whole rest of the trip, I'd tell her where we were to get off, she'd watch the maps and we didn't miss a stop.  I got a chance to sit and rest.  Taking 19 Girl Scouts to Chicago is no small feat!!

I have learned that girls with a little experience can quickly teach their peers.  From helping with reading, to making posters and maps for World Thinking Day or to making a craft or fishing, give them the instructions and they can fly.  I have found you need to give them enough room to soar, knowing that they will at times fall.  The best part is helping them figure out how to troubleshoot to avoid the same pitfalls down the road. 

We have taken several trips as a troop.  Chicago to the Shedd Aquarium overnight was a neat experience.  My Girl Scout Cadettes bridged in Estes Park, Colorado, an experience I am sure they will never forget.  We have had overnights at the Science Center of Iowa, Strategic Air Museum in Nebraska, and Disney on Ice.  We have shopped ‘till we dropped at the Mall of America and lived like a pioneer at Living History Farms. 

Service to our community is an integral part of our troop.  Each month this past year, we have participated in service projects.  We sent WWII Vets off on an Honor Guard flight.  We placed flags in the cemetery with the American Legion.  Annually, we donate at Christmas to the local "adopt a child" program.  We have donated warm weather things to Hope Charities for the homeless.  Christmas cookies to elderly shut-ins and Easter egg dyeing with the nursing home residents is a fun event.  We sponsored a community 4th of July carnival and had a blast!!  We collected books for the Cedar Rapids flood victims and prom dresses with the Junior League of Des Moines. We collected and donated Halloween candy for our military troops overseas and participate in the "cookies for troops" campaign. 

Every year, we take a troop camping trip somewhere.  Whether it's the top of the mountain or the campground in town, getting into nature is always a good time.  Making s’mores out of Thanks-a-lots is a sweet Girl Scout treat.

Some people say what I do as a leader is "old fashioned".  Even the New York Times had an article saying Girl Scouts was "getting away" from the craft and campfire stigma.  I couldn't disagree with those statements more.  Everyday, we have kids wanting to be Girl Scouts.  This IS what they want. 

Where are we headed this year to celebrate 100 years?  Well, we are off on a whirlwind adventure to the Mall of America with 50,000 of our closest Girl Scout colleagues in March.  We will be at the Camp Sac Jamboree in May.  And will be spending five days camping near the lakes in Minnesota in July. 

People say, "How do you have the time" or make excuses like "I'm too busy" to be leaders. They truly are the ones who lose out. Yeah, I "donate" a lot of time to Girl Scouts but the relationships that I have with my daughters is so much better because of it. The imprints I have left on the lives of the girls in my troop will last a lifetime. I guarantee you.  Pledge yourself to set aside one hour a month.  Contact a local leader to partner with or become a leader yourself.  Give that hour to a group of girls and watch your world change!

- Kiane Goebel, Troop 10072

______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment