Monday, January 2, 2012

100th Anniversary - Guest Blog: Wason

We want to thank Lisa Wason, a lifetime member of Girl Scouts and leader of South Story Daisy Troop 92, for her thoughts on the Girl Scout experience!

If you are interested in sharing your story, please email us - you could be our next guest blogger!
_________________________________________________________

Lisa Wason
Lifetime Member
Girl Scout Leader
Girl Scouts has been a part of my life since I became a Brownie in 1990. After getting my first few Try-its, I was hooked. We had some amazing leaders who could handle all of us girls. I was able to be in plays, parades, service projects, and overnights. I continued to be in Girl Scouts even until I finished high school. After graduation I decided to become a lifetime member. I was able to go to South Korea in 2004, where I did find their country office but wasn't able to get involved. Now, I'm a mom to a little boy and decided that I needed to get back involved with Girl Scouts. I'm in my first year of being a Daisy leader.

While thinking about how Girl Scouts has impacted my life, it’s about respecting others. Everyone is different and no matter what those differences are, respect is needed. Cultures, values, beliefs, and perspective of everyone are different. I work with people with mental illnesses and have learned very quickly that when you show a person respect and understanding, they will share most of their experiences, good or bad.  When people are treated with respect, it creates a better environment.  Everyone is different and that is one great thing about Girl Scouts, learning to respect those differences and learning how each girl is great.

- Lisa Wason
_________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment