Monday, February 13, 2012

100th Anniversary - Guest Blog: Schettler

Thanks to Christy Schettler for blogging for us this week.  Christy is one of our valued volunteers who leads a multi-level Girl Scout Troop from Breda, IA. 

If you are interested in being our next guest blogger, please email us your story!
 
_______________________________________________________________

Christy Schettler
Breda Girl Scouts Troop 273
Hi! My name is Christy Schettler and I have been a Girl Scout for as long as I can remember.  When I was a young Girl Scout, my leader was Miss Kitty (Taylor) and she was awesome!

I am now the proud mom of 25 girls (give or take) twice a month! Yes, I have one large Girl Scout troop (or group is how we should be defined since we range in age from 5-17). My troop leadership journey started out over ten years ago as this small idea... "I should just lead my own troop instead of driving my girls 15 miles to meet twice a month, I know 5 girls that will join right in town". Well the first meeting there were 10 smiling faces (okay 4 were crying but you know what I mean) and from then until now, Breda Girl Scout Troop #10273 has probably had 50 members. We have had members graduate high school, move away, and just have too busy of schedules. But we have been blessed to have the original members still in the troop and they are all now in high school.

I am honored to be a Girl Scout Leader and watch these young girls become young women. They are now excelling in so many avenues - sports, school plays, state competitions, National Honor Society, and I hope Girl Scouts played a small role in the girls becoming so confident and successful.

We are blessed to be in a small town and are able to volunteer on a regular basis. We meet Sept. - May each year with five or six large volunteer projects a year: Adopt a family, food drive, Earth day, Fall Festival, 4th of July, and many others. We helped serve the Honor flight for Veterans before they flew to Washington DC for the day and were amazed by their stories.

We also have a little fun, with some of favorites being: skating, lock-ins, Adventureland, camping, sledding, and Thinking Day. Our high school girls will be celebrating Girl Scouts 100th birthday with a trip to Savannah, GA in June.

Look us up on Facebook - Breda Girl Scouts Troop 273

- Christy Schettler
_______________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment