Tuesday, February 28, 2012

100th Anniversary - Guest Blog: Bruner

Ronette Bruner, a Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa Girl Scout Ambassador is our guest blogger this week.  Thank you for your contribution to your community and your loyalty to Girl Scouts!  

If you'd like to be our next blogger, please email us and tell us your story!
_________________________________________________________

Ronette Bruner
Girl Scout Ambassador
Gold Award Recipient

Hello my name is Ronette Bruner. I am in 11th grade this year. I have many favorite subjects, but the two that I love the most are history and anatomy. Three of my favorite activities are show choir, reading, and learning. I have been in Girl Scouts for almost 12 years and I am now a Girl Scout Ambassador.  

I will do my best to be honest and fair, friendly and helpful, considerate and caring, and responsible for what I say and do, respect myself and others, respect authority, use resources wisely, make the world a better place, and be a sister to every Girl Scout. I have just quoted the Girl Scout Law and I try to practice this on a daily basis.  

I learned this as a Girl Scout Brownie, while making my sit-upon.  My goal was to do my best.  To be honest and fair I took on the role of President in my Girl Scout troop. There have been many opportunities to be friendly and helpful. One time a little girl showed up at a Girl Scout function without a parent/guardian. I took on the responsibility of finding her mother; while we waited for her mother to come I took her around to different activities to keep her busy. I have taken on the responsibility of being a delegate for the Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa. I have learned that what I say can have a great effect on everybody.  

I feel I have gained great confidence by attending events and programs provided by Girl Scouts. I have attended many Earth Day events. I have collected trash and recycled different items.  When I work on projects I try to not waste resources if possible. I have met many girls through Girl Scouting and have made many friends. I have met adults as well as peers through the community, while being in a worth-while organization like Girl Scouts. I feel Girl Scouts has molded my character into the responsible leader of today.  

I have attended many thinking day events where troops come from all over and present different countries so girls learn how it is to live somewhere else. I have attended baseball games, water parks, camps, classes on respecting yourself and others, program aids, leadership, CPR and first aid. I even helped organize a trip to an Alaska encampment. I helped organize the trip for 16 girls to go to the encampment to join other Girl Scouts from all over the world like: Hawaii, Russia, and even Japan.  

While in Girl Scouts I have worked on and completed all of the highest awards in Girl Scouting. For the bronze award my troop painted a head start playground. For the Silver Award me and another Girl Scout decorated 4x8 sheets of plywood, insulated them, and hung them in a church to sound proof the gym. For my Gold Award, the highest award a Girl Scout can earn, I offered a reading program to a primary school. I started this project because I like to read and want younger children to want to read. If I could get even one child to read, it would make the world a better place.  

The best thing about being a Girl Scout is being able to do things you never thought possible. Girl Scouting has helped me develop character by putting me in different positions which has helped me take on many different roles in different fields that I normally would not have tried. This has given me the opportunity to become a stronger person and help me develop into a morally strong young adult.


- Ronette Bruner

_________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment