Tuesday, March 6, 2012

100th Anniversary - Guest Blog: Tucker-Stanbro

We are promoting the words of Sandi Tucker-Stanbro as our newest guest blogger.  Thank you, Sandi, for your commitment to Girl Scouts - and to the girls and other volunteers in your area!

If you are interested in being our next guest blogger, please email us and tell us your story.

________________________________________________________________

Sandi Tucker-Stanbro

Oskaloosa Service
Unit Manager


Project Manager EDI
for Deere & Company
I like to think of my Girl Scout history as rich and full.  My mother was my leader when I was a girl, and I remember the excitement of selling cookies and going to camp, having troop meetings and sleepovers with my Girl Scout buddies.  It’s funny how things come full circle.  Today, I proudly volunteer as Service Unit Manager for Oskaloosa Girl Scouts, and am the mother of a Cadette Juliette, Maycie. 

When I was approached to submit a column for the Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa blog, my mind began to race.  There are so many things about Girl Scouts that I’d like to talk about.  What should I choose?  But I kept coming back to a group that makes things happen in Oskaloosa, the members of my Service Unit - other leaders and volunteers in my area. 

I have met many spectacular women and girls in my years with Girl Scouts at nearly every level – camp counselors, the Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa office and staff, other Service Units, etc.  All are women willing to give their all to make our girls great leaders, to set good examples, and be excellent role models.  However, a special few hold a particularly soft spot in my heart, and those are the women of Service Unit 519.  They give up their weekends, their free time, and personal vacation to ensure girls have the best opportunities and experiences they may not otherwise enjoy. 

My particular Service Unit is compromised of a diverse set of some of the smartest and hardest working women I’ve had the honor to know.  Each month attendance is high at our Service Unit meetings with representative from nearly all 13 troops.  These ladies come prepared to dig in and chair events, tackle projects, mentor new leaders, and have each other’s backs.  Because of their hard work and dedication, we have hosted some amazing events in our community.  Last year our 'Just Desserts' event raised nearly $2,000 to offset camp costs for Oskaloosa girls.  Each month we have a Service Unit event for all Girl Scouts in Oskaloosa, most of which are highly attended and all with a community service element.  This year we tackled our first Cookie Cupboard!
 

Being involved with Girl Scouts has been an honor, and getting to know these women not just as Girl Scout sisters, but as true lifelong friends, has been a dream come true. 

- Sandi Tucker-Stanbro

 __________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment