Monday, April 30, 2012

100th Anniversary - Guest Blog: Doruska


We welcome Molly Doruska as our guest blogger this week.  She is an active Girl Scout and has a great connection with our 100th Anniversary... read on...
If you'd like to be our next guest blogger, please let us know by emailing us your story!
 ___________________________________________________________
Molly with Lieutenant Governor Kim Reynolds
My life has always been a busy one. There never really was or are any dull moments. Joining Girl Scouts in fifth grade, after finding time, has created so many more amazing moments for me. I have attended camp at Camp Tanglefoot and Camp Sacajawea. There, I have learned so many skills. But more important than all the things I have learned, is all the people I have met. I have made so many friends and met so many amazing role models at camp since I have entered the world of Girl Scouting. They have inspired me to go back to my community and influence it. 
I have assisted those with brain injuries for my Bronze Award. Then I made over twenty lap blankets for the nursing home patients as my Silver Award. I asked for help in carrying my work on, and the Ankeny Girl Scouts made fifty-six blankets for the local nursing homes to hand out while caroling. These have all been great moments that Girl Scouts have implanted in my life.
Recently, I was asked in my extended learning class to take on a project to challenge myself. I knew immediately I wanted to enter the Write Women Back into History Essay Contest. My topic would be Juliette Gordon Low as we entered into the 100th anniversary year.  Little did I know that the theme was women’s education and women’s empowerment!  I did my research and learned so much about how Juliette Gordon Low battled not only the social norms of the time, but also hearing loss in order to found the Girl Scouts. My essay on her accomplishments and their impacts on my life won first place in the 8th-9th grade division. It was my little way to add to the celebration of Girl Scouts 100th year celebration.
This celebration should inspire us all to go back into our communities and create lasting moments with others. Juliette Gordon Low’s gathering of eighteen girls in Savannah, Georgia allows us to be part of the wonderful organization she created. If she created so many waves in 1912, why can’t we keep the ripples alive? 
I believe there are two reasons for this celebration: to look back, and to look forward. We look back on the history of Girl Scouts and see many amazing accomplishments of women and girls everywhere. As we look ahead, ask yourself, what do I want my world to look like? Whatever your issue is, face it head on. Use the courage and confidence of Juliette Gordon Low as your own. Let’s make the celebration of 100 years an inspiration to impact the future. You, too, can create moments to remember.
- Molly Doruska
 ____________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment