Monday, April 16, 2012

100th Anniversary - Guest Blog: Murphy

We welcome Diane Murphy, Girl Services Director for the Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa as our guest blogger.  We are grateful for her memories of Girl Scouting and the contribution to help girls succeed.  

If you would like to be our next guest blogger, email us and tell us your story!

_________________________________________________________

Diane Murphy and
daughter Megan
Girl Services Director
Mason City and Fort Dodge Area
Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa
Although I was a Girl Scout growing up through 6th grade, the greatest impact as a Girl Scout has come to me as an adult.  First as a troop leader; Service Unit Manager; a volunteer member of my council’s Product Sale Team; and now as a professional Girl Scout staff.  My story begins the same as many of you.  When my daughter, Megan, was in first grade there was a registration night at school.  Megan was shy and quiet so I was happy when she wanted to go see what it was about.  What happened next set the stage for my future as much as it did hers.  Megan looked up at me and said she would only be a Girl Scout if I were her leader.  As I looked down into her longing eyes I knew there was only one answer. I believed in the mission of Girl Scouting and knew it was something I wanted her to be a part of; little did I know that I would be just as impacted by that decision as she was.

Although I have memories of my girl years my adult years are even more vivid with memories and new experiences.  My best friendships are with people I met as a Girl Scout volunteer.  My first airplane flight was as a Girl Scout Staff.  Just as our girls have these experiences, so can we as adult Girl Scouts.

When I was a volunteer, I portrayed Juliette Gordon Low for my Service Unit each October at our Juliette Low birthday party.  I gathered lots of stories about our founder so I would be able to bring her to life for the girls.  The more I read the more I appreciated all that she had been through and how her life experiences had impacted her and would come to impact girls and women for years to come.

I often wonder if she thought we would still be here 100 years later and what we would look like.  I was fascinated by her years while she was starting the organization; she was determined and stubborn and dedicated to helping girls develop the skills to succeed in life.  She wanted girls to see the possibilities that were available to them.  I knew I had succeeded in bringing her to life when one little girl asked me if I was really Juliette Low.  To me that was huge compliment.  If you have not spent time reading about our founder, I suggest that you do, it will give you a deeper appreciation for what she accomplished and what our mission is all about.

When I became a staff member with the Girl Scout Council of North Iowa I continued my role as Juliette Low. In one day the membership department traveled to four different locations with a special event for girls who had registered through the early-bird program.  Each troop in attendance had their picture taken with Juliette Low.  At the Mason City location my daughter had her picture taken with Juliette (aka Mom).  Looking through old pictures at the office recently I came across a set of those pictures and the memories flooded back.  The eyes of those young girls reminded me why I became involved in the first place.  Those eyes reminded me of my daughter’s eyes so many years earlier.  Twelve years later I still see those eyes when I meet new Girl Scouts and their leaders.  Sometimes those leaders are moms, but sometimes they are women who had a positive experience as a Girl Scout and want to bring that experience to the next generation.  I feel blessed to be part of this organization and look forward to the next 100 years.


- Diane Murphy
_________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment